Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 - the year that was...

The highlight of the year, HAS to be meeting my greatest fear right in the face! Pregnancy and subsequently, delivering who I now refer to as 'Baby Doll/Love of my life/ Lihua/ Qiana/ Dreadful devil/ beautiful bane....'

Like many others who have been married for over 2-3years in India, I was often met with the one question by everyone who met me, 'When do we hear the good news!' my illusion raise, my efficiently managed house, even yummy-new-found culinary skills weren't good enough news for them... till it finally happened. Given, I had suffered 3years of disappointed-faces, I was finally glad I could put a tick on that in my accomplishments-as-a-woman, but only the one's very close to me realised how scared I really was.

My best friends' and even my mother's concern didn't surprise me till one fine day I got a call from my father telling me, 'Bhoy peyo naa, shobh theek hobe (fear not, all will be well)' It was then that I realised how obvious my fear was... I haven't ever credited my father for being observant, and that one comment won't change that :P

The first few months of nausea were bugging, but the concerned faces and all the fuss around me did make up for the horrible taste in my mouth and also the swollen face.




The picture says a lot about all that changed physically... the 9month was perhaps the toughest on the aching legs, swinging moods, sinking heart... and of course, on my husband who increasingly looked like a man on a hot pant, forever jumpy, worrying his ass off!

Till finally, the day arrived and we quietly drove to the hospital, quietly unlike the screamy ladies we see in the films is because I had a c-section... my dreadful darling had the cord laced around her neck...

Frankly, I only had my husband for support that night when random ppl would come shave me, shove an enema up and basically treat like a cow who didn't deserve a semblance of privacy.
That night, was the longest and the day overwhelming... with my first IV, first surgery, first baby - i felt humiliated, butchered and happy as hell!

Of course, I didn't know then that what would follow were days which made every bit of the pregnancy and delivery seem like a cake-walk.
Today, when Lihua is finally making peace with the fact that she has to survive with a clueless set of parents, she is calmer and me too...

But certainly, this year has effectively changed every following year for me.
Life would never be the same, and while I miss some of the carefree days, I am thankful to the Lord, that I have no regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment